Organ Tablature Subset

jmckean83
Hi,

I'm not active in the development of either music fonts or notation software, but I find the idea of the SMuFL both interesting and important. I noticed that one area of music notation that isn't accounted for in the current standard is organ tablature. Although this notation is rather obscure and not widely known (let alone used) nowadays, it was the basis of most notated keyboard music in the 15th, 16th, and 17th centuries; even J.S. Bach grew up with organ tablature (rather than staff notation) being his 'first language' (musically speaking). Like lute tablature, there were different national conventions; German organ tablature has two versions: 'old' and 'new' organ tablature.

I am hardly an authority on organ tablature, so I would not be in a position to help advise with the creation of a subset of characters that would cover its notational needs. Because it is mostly letter-based, the basis of the subset would probably be similar to some of the lute tablatures already in the standard. In addition, there would have to be a combining overline (to indicate octave) and a swash version of each letter -- the only way to indicate accidentals in organ tablature is to add a swash to the letter representing the semitone below the desired pitch.

Anyway, it's just a thought. The standard would be more comprehensive and might even stimulate interest in finding new computer-based ways of notation organ tablature if it were included.