[smufl-discuss] Additional metadata for custom glyphs

TW

[smufl-discuss] Additional metadata for custom glyphs

TW
I notice that SMuFL reserves codepoints U+F400 to U+F8FF for
application or font specific use - which is really useful.

Say I want to supply some composer specific notehead shapes with my
font that are not (and should not) be part of the SMuFL standard.  I
can provide metadata according to section "Metadata for
SMuFL-compliant fonts" of the specifications just fine.  Assuming I
put a notehead at codepoint U+F400:

"glyphsWithAnchors": {
    "U+F400": {
        "stemDownNW": [
            0.0,
            -0.184
        ],
        "stemUpSE": [
            1.328,
            0.184
        ]
    },
}

The question is:  Should there be a way to supply name, description
and class information for non-standard glyphs in a fashion similar to
classes.json and glyphnames.json?  I think that especially class
information would be beneficial so that applications can find out
which glyphs can be used in which role.

Supplying names and descriptions might help users, but custom names
also bear the risk of name collisions with future versions of SMuFL.

I could imagine a "nonSmufl"/"nonStandard"/"customGlyphs" section that
can be added to the metatdata JSON file, like:

"nonSmuflGlyphs": {
    "glyphnames": {  // should names be provided at all?
        "mySpecialNotehead": {
            "codepoint": "U+F400",
            "description": "Notehead used by composer X in work Y"
        }
    },
    "classes": {
        "noteheads": [
            "U+F400"  // or "mySpecialNotehead"
        ]
    }
}

Would this be a sensible addition to the metadata file?

As a side note:  The "Metadata for SMuFL-compliant fonts" section of
the specs says that "Glyph names may be supplied either using their
Unicode code point or their canonical glyph name", but I didn't see an
example using a Unicode code point.  I'm assuming that the code point
shall be supplied in "U+" hex notation, but I think this should be
explicitly stated.

Thomas W.

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>