[smufl-discuss] Fwd: Arabic notation 3/4 flat accidental missing

[smufl-discuss] Fwd: Arabic notation 3/4 flat accidental missing

Karim Ratib
Hello,

I'm working on bringing Arabic and Turkish notation to a number of
open source projects. I did some research on the availability of
Arabic and Turkish glyphs in SMuFL, and I found them all with one
exception: the Arabic 3/4 flat accidental.

You can see this accidental here:
http://www.oud.eclipse.co.uk/notation.html and I am also linking to
sample pages from a primary music source showing usage of this
accidental:

- all accidentals used in the book including 3/4 flat (3rd enry in table)
https://github.com/infojunkie/music-l10n/blob/master/images/accidentals.jpg

- a sample page of enharmonics showing Qarar Nim Hisar as A 3/4 flat
(middle column top row)
https://github.com/infojunkie/music-l10n/blob/master/images/enharmonics.jpg

- a transposed scale of maqam Huzzam to `Ajam `Ushayran with 3/4 flat
in key signature (middle row)
https://github.com/infojunkie/music-l10n/blob/master/images/3%20quarters%20flat%20in%20key%20signature.jpg

The book's bibliographical reference is:
ʿAbbās (al-), Ḥabīb Ẓāhir, et حبيب ظاهر Ḥabīb Dhāhir العباس. نظريات
الموسيقى العربية Nadhariyyāt al-Mūsīqā al-ʿArabiyya. Vol. Theorie
Musique Arabe. (Baghdad – Irak) بغداد – العراق: وزارة الثقافة
والٳعلام، دائرة الفنون الموسيقية، معهد الدراسات النغمية العراقى
(Wizārat a-th-Thaqāfa wa-l Iʿlām, Dāʾirat al-Funūn al-Mūsīqiyya,
Maʿhad a-d-Dirāsāt a-n-Naghmiyya al-ʿIrāqiyy), 1986.

I am therefore submitting a request to add this symbol to the SMuFL
spec. I also suggest to create a new accidentals section that groups
all Arabic accidentals, akin to the Turkish section and others.

Thanks,
Karim

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>