[smufl-discuss] Re: Additional Glyphs

Michael Scott Cuthbert

On Jun 3, 2013, at 11:40 AM, Daniel Spreadbury <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Mark wrote:

>> Wind techniques: Maybe not the best place to put them, but I would
> include
>> characters with two, three, and four dots, sans the slur.
>
> What is the meaning of these symbols? Is this to suggest tonguing
> individual notes in a measured tremolo, or something else?

Yes. Staccato in individual notes in measured tremolos -- very common in compact band scores.  I didn't see this missing glyph, but it's definitely important.

As far as stylistic sets go, in addition to what David and Joe and others have said, please note that if those get to be the preferred place for serif vs. sans-serif, wide, vs. narrower note heads, etc. then if they're going to be interchangeable between fonts, we'll need to have a standard at least for the most common stylistic alternates for which number goes with what.  Will 1 always be serif and 2 sans serif, etc.

Glad to see MakeMusic here too.

Best,
Myke

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>