[smufl-discuss] Re: Chord names and General bass

[smufl-discuss] Re: Chord names and General bass

Emil B. Wojtacki
W dniu 31-05-2013 17.45, Daniel Spreadbury pisze:
> and being able to create
> stacks of up to three digits, with accidentals, and parentheses, plus
> optional bass notes
With general bass, five stacked digits may be required (with accidentals
and parentheses as well). If the goals of SMuFL include representing
musical symbols in text, we shall face this issue.

Joseph Berkovitz:
> I don't think there's any easy font-based way of dodging this bullet.

I think there is. Maybe not extremely easy, but possible. My rough
attempt to solve this problem, would be to assign a special codepoint
with the meaning "beginning of the next horizontal line up" (the same
one could be used for chord symbols, and for chord symbols expressed in
the Renaissance-Baroque-early Classical manner). The  which would
represent the beginnings of the certain horizontal line. I suppose that
with 36 codepoints (including note names), we could address both ways
(ancient and modern one) of notating chords, at least in text
applications (as long as notation of bass without providing
<qoute>
the means to show the chord symbol like a fraction, with the main chord
offset up and left, and the bass note offset down and right, with a
fraction slash inbetween)</quote>
is considered sufficient (this one would need four additional codepoints
and a lot of work of font developer).

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>