[smufl-discuss] Re: Glyph Registration and Graphical Metadata

[smufl-discuss] Re: Glyph Registration and Graphical Metadata

David Webber
From: Daniel Spreadbury

> Er... I'm sorry, but it doesn't seem very coherent to me. The division
between "all full-sized symbols, 2/3rd size clefs,  handful of noteheads,
accidentals and flags" and "all cue-sized or cue-sized grace note symbols"
seems arbitrary to me.

It's to do with musical context.

I think of the "2/3-size clefs" as  "full size clef changes".    They are
symbols, as Cecilio points out, with a completely different role from the
clefs at the start of lines.

And grace notes have a completely different role from normal notes.  Cue
notes (and attachments like accidentals and accents), however, are just a
smaller version of normal notes, the only contextual difference being tht
you might not have to play them.

When one thinks musically rather than purely geometrically, it becomes
clear.

> Is it not a *more* coherent philosophy that the music font should encode
all symbols once each at their full size,

But there are so many assumptions in that statement.   Musically a clef
change is a full sized clef change, and a grace note is a full sized grace
note: they ate just symbols which are geometrically similar (in the strict
mathematical sense of the word).

> I'm sorry to be so disagreeable, Dave, really! But your proposed
duplication of such large swathes of the symbols in the standard really
seems like overkill, particularly since you concede that you currently
have to scale the font to draw cue-sized items in your application anyway! <

As I say, philosophically one can argue that cue notes, when used, are a
manifestation of the the whole font at a smaller size.  Whereas clef changes
and grace notes have a very different musical role from clefs at the start
of lines and normal notes.

As things stand one will need at least 6 instances of the font to draw a
general piece of music

one for normal symbols
another for clef changes
another for cue notes
another for grace notes
another for cue grace notes
another for clef changes on cued in staves

and that's before we get to chord symbols and chord shapes.   This seems
like overkill to me.   So it's not so much a font (in the traditional
printing sense) as a collection of pictograms.

Dave

David Webber
Mozart Music Software
http://www.mozart.co.uk/

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>