[smufl-discuss] Re: Glyph Registration and Graphical Metadata

[smufl-discuss] Re: Glyph Registration and Graphical Metadata

dspreadbury
Administrator
Dave wrote:

> 1. As Daniel said - ther's a performance hit.

Though not a significant one, of course, and since working with fonts is a
pretty standard OS operation, there's generally good automatic caching and
so on.

> 2. I'm sorry you don't regard Mozart (v1 released 1994) as 'current
> software'.   I'm beginning to realise we're designing fonts for Sibelius
and
> Finale.

That's a bit of a low blow. It's certainly not a stated goal to design
fonts only for Sibelius and Finale, though I hope that both Sibelius and
Finale (and Noteflight, and Lilypond, and Mozart, and MuseScore, and
Logic, and Cubase, and on and on) will be able to make use of
SMuFL-compliant fonts if they wish.  And if they don't wish, hey, they can
keep doing what they're doing, or invent their own new standard if they
like!

> 3. The same argument says that text software should write a lower case
's'by
> modifying the upper case version.

I don't agree. It's pretty rare in which the geometric forms of upper case
and lower case letters are identical. The lower case letter will almost
always have significant differences such that scaling an upper case letter
won't give the same appearance. That isn't necessarily the case with
clefs, though I do absolutely agree that it should be possible to have a
clef optimised for display at a smaller size, and that's why I'm proposing
using alternate glyphs (at separate explicit codepoints for applications
that can't use OpenType features) for that purpose.

> Style alternatives are fine for style alternatives: but there are two
> versions of the clefs used in music, just as there are two versions of
the
> letter 's' in 'Susan'.

I think the clef argument is slightly stronger than the argument for grace
notes, cue notes and cue-sized grace notes requiring noteheads,
accidentals, flags, articulations and all other such paraphernalia to be
duplicated at three additional sizes.

I suggest we park this particular discussion for now. We haven't reached
consensus, and several of us are expending a lot of time and energy on
this issue. I have got a note of it as an open question, and we can return
to it in due course.

Thanks to everybody who has weighed in on this issue, but shall we talk
about something else now?

Daniel

Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH, Frankenstrasse 18b, D-20097 Hamburg, Germany
Phone: +49 (40) 21035-0 | Fax: +49 (40) 21035-300 | www.steinberg.net
Managing Director: Andreas Stelling, Kazunori Kobayashi
Registration Court: Hamburg HRB 86534
To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>