[smufl-discuss] Re: Glyph Registration and Graphical Metadata

[smufl-discuss] Re: Glyph Registration and Graphical Metadata

dspreadbury
Administrator
Joe wrote:

> You are right that CSS3 Fonts browser support is rather sketchy
> right now, and I don't think targeting this API amounts to "aiming
> low enough" in terms of simplicity. There are lots of advanced web
> APIs out there that do not yet have traction, which is why I
> suggested looking at the text-related components of HTML5 SVG and
> Canvas (which, by the way, resemble earlier platform-independent
> font/text engines like the one found in Adobe Flash).

Can you provide a good link for documentation of these APIs, for those of
us (i.e. me) who is not super-experienced in using them?

> I don't think you have yet addressed the separate (and perhaps more
> fundamental) question of whether explicitly relying on OpenType
> itself is a good idea. Obviously it's a solid implementation choice
> for the present day, but I think the standard will be stronger and
> more durable if it is expressed in a way that is independent of any
> particular font technology. It can still be *realized* using OpenType.

My feeling on this is that any font technology that succeeds OpenType will
be a superset of the functionality that is already found within OpenType,
just as OpenType is a superset of the functionality of Type 1 and TrueType
fonts, and UFO is likewise designed to capture the full breadth of
functionality found within OpenType. So targeting OpenType features seems
safe enough to me. I have already suggested that if people are really
terrified of or completely unable to use OpenType features, encoding
glyphs used as stylistic alternates or ligatures at explicit codepoints so
that they can be accessed directly is a possibility.

Daniel

Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH, Frankenstrasse 18b, D-20097 Hamburg, Germany
Phone: +49 (40) 21035-0 | Fax: +49 (40) 21035-300 | www.steinberg.net
Managing Director: Andreas Stelling, Kazunori Kobayashi
Registration Court: Hamburg HRB 86534
To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>