[smufl-discuss] Re: Glyph registration and metrics

[smufl-discuss] Re: Glyph registration and metrics

dspreadbury
Administrator
Knut wrote:

> The symbols for damping are also inconsistently registered; some
> have the vertical stem drawn through the baseline, while others have
> the stem sitting on the baseline. Damping symbols enclosed in
> circles are all sitting on the baseline.

The range between U+E5E5 (brassMuteClosed) and U+E5EB
(brassHarmonMuteStemOpen) are all registered consistently, with the
initial + and circle glyphs sitting on the baseline, then the circles with
perpendicular lines crossing the circles extending beyond the
circumference of the circle. The consideration here is that since these
glyphs will typically be placed above or below a notehead, the consuming
application should be able to use a consistent origin for each glyph of a
similar kind.

The glyphs at U+E7F5 (pictOpenRimShot) through U+E7F9 (pictDamp1) are
registered in the same way as the above.

The larger damping glyphs at U+E7FA–U+E7FC are registered differently
because I do not believe they are intended to be positioned directly above
or below a notehead in the same way as e.g. an articulation or other
"instantaneous" playing technique.

> General overshoot of round characters:
> As it stands, these characters will need vertical adjustments within
> the scoring application to be visually aligned with straight edges.
> Have you given any thought to this at all? Are there perhaps reasons
> for not using overshoots that I’m not thinking of?

There isn't a general rule about whether or not characters with round
shapes should overshoot the baseline. The coda symbol (U+E048) is
registered such that the bottom of the bowl sits on the baseline, such
that if you were to type the coda symbol in Bravura Text and some text in
a regular text font into the same text string, the positioning of the coda
symbol would be appropriate for a regular text font. This is the kind of
thing that will perhaps only be discovered through usage of particular
symbols in different applications and contexts.

I'm certainly open to adding further guidelines concerning the
registration of specific symbols, if we identify the requirements.

Daniel

Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH, Frankenstrasse 18b, D-20097 Hamburg, Germany
Phone: +49 (40) 21035-0 | Fax: +49 (40) 21035-300 | www.steinberg.net
President: Andreas Stelling | Managing Director: Hiroshi Sasaki, Hirofumi Osawa
Registration Court: Hamburg HRB 86534
To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>