[smufl-discuss] Re: Glyph registration and metrics

[smufl-discuss] Re: Glyph registration and metrics

dspreadbury
Administrator
Knut wrote:

> Some of these are centred on the baseline and some are sitting on
> the baseline. Is this deliberately, or should these glyphs ideally
> be registered one way or the other?

The guidelines are clear on this; they should be centered around both x=0
and y=0. You're right that this isn't consistent at the moment, and I will
fix the outliers. (One, U+E63B, pluckedDampOnStem is also incorrectly
horizontally registered as well as vertically registered.)

> Sagittal accidentals:
> These have different amounts of space on the right side, while all
> other accidentals have zero-width side bearings. Is there a specific
> reason for spacing the sagittal ranges differently from other
accidentals?

No, this is due to the fact that the Sagittal accidentals were included in
Bravura directly from the original Saggital font, and this was the
registration used in that font. These accidentals should have zero
side-bearings, like all of the other accidentals, so I will fix this in
Bravura too.

> Clusters:
> The square and round cluster noteheads (E120–E123) as well as the
> precomposed 2nd and 3rd diamond clusters (E138–E13B) are sitting on
> the baseline contrary to the guidelines for registration of
> clusters. I know some of these glyphs are most often used for
> clusters of non specific pitch, but even so, I can’t think of a good
> reason why they should have a different registration.

There was a reason, but you're probably right that it's not a good one! I
will change the registration of these precomposed glyphs to make them
consistent with the component parts of clusters in the next revision of
Bravura.

Daniel

Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH, Frankenstrasse 18b, D-20097 Hamburg, Germany
Phone: +49 (40) 21035-0 | Fax: +49 (40) 21035-300 | www.steinberg.net
President: Andreas Stelling | Managing Director: Hiroshi Sasaki, Hirofumi Osawa
Registration Court: Hamburg HRB 86534
To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>