[smufl-discuss] Re: Glyph registration and metrics

[smufl-discuss] Re: Glyph registration and metrics

Knut Nergaard
Daniel wrote:

Yes, that is probably true, though the amount of overshoot for different
text fonts can vary to a quite significant degree, so I'm not sure that
it's practical for SMuFL to make a guideline about this, as the "correct"
amount of overshoot would therefore depend on the text font with which the
music font is to be paired.

They can vary somewhat, yes, but most main stream text fonts with a UPM size of 1000 EDUs have an overshoot of between 10 and 15 EDUs. With this in mind, any overshoot in this area would most certainly provide better vertical alignment with most text fonts than the present guidelines for registration.

The same thing can be said for the cap hight btw, which varies even more from one font to another. To me, the bottom line is that with a music font intended for text based use, you can only try to find some middle ground. It will never be a perfect fit with every text font out there.

Knut
14. apr. 2015 kl. 16:08 skrev Daniel Spreadbury <[hidden email]>:

Knut wrote:

Ah, I see. Is this difference between purpose of the symbols and
dedicated registration stated specifically in the guidelines?

No, not at present. This might be getting down to an
implementation-specific level of detail, so I'm not sure whether or not it
can or should be codified specifically in the guidelines.

In text fonts, this is indeed a general rule.

I'm well aware of the principle in text typography, of course. What I
meant (and should have said) is that *in SMuFL* there is no general rule
concerning overshooting.

In your example the coda sign in Bravura won’t actually visually
line up with the bottom of the text characters because of its lack
of overshoot.

Yes, that is probably true, though the amount of overshoot for different
text fonts can vary to a quite significant degree, so I'm not sure that
it's practical for SMuFL to make a guideline about this, as the "correct"
amount of overshoot would therefore depend on the text font with which the
music font is to be paired.

Daniel

Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH, Frankenstrasse 18b, D-20097 Hamburg, Germany
Phone: +49 (40) 21035-0 | Fax: +49 (40) 21035-300 | www.steinberg.net
President: Andreas Stelling | Managing Director: Hiroshi Sasaki, Hirofumi Osawa
Registration Court: Hamburg HRB 86534
To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>