[smufl-discuss] Re: Ligatures and the control characters in SMuFL

[smufl-discuss] Re: Ligatures and the control characters in SMuFL

Grzegorz Rolek
Hi Daniel,

Sorry for a late reply, I’ve been quite busy the whole week. Please read on.

> At present we do not have a specific recommended solution for fractional numbers in time signatures as part of the SMuFL specification.

You’re absolutely right, of course. Each time I mentioned ‘fractional time signatures,’ what I had in mind were all the time signatures that are, in principle, being set vertically.

I haven’t really considered the fractional signatures, as any such additional, second-level mechanism for setting these would make things pretty complex, encoding-wise, and I must have assumed the other day that there aren’t many more fractional times in use than the ones already provided as ‘atomic’ code points.

> We have control characters for setting a digit to be a numerator and another for setting a digit to be a denominator, and I understand that the point you make applies here too: we could instead have some kind of
> separator control character that would cause each digit prior to the control character to be treated as a numerator and each digit following it to be treated as a denominator (though there is still some complexity here
> in terms of ensuring that the digits are correctly aligned in relationship to one another, particularly if you have different numbers of digits above and below).

That’s exactly what I had in mind. (The complexities you mention can be dealt with in one way or another; that’s more of a font development issue and various solutions exist in the wild. In a worst-case scenario, one could prepare ligatures for the trickier combinations.)

But a model that would deal with both simple and fractional time signatures and their various settings would need a bit more thought, that’s for sure. Sorry for the confusion, anyway.

Best,
Grzegorz Rolek

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>