[smufl-discuss] Re: SMuFL Metadata generation

[smufl-discuss] Re: SMuFL Metadata generation

Knut Nergaard
Thank you, Daniel,
that sounds excellent!

The basic part of the font set is laid out more or less according to Maestro. However, I’ve attempted to remedy some minor inconsistencies in the mapping of Maestro, so a few characters are in different places. Some of the Maestro characters have also been replaced by different, (in my opinion) more frequently used characters. Additionally, I have used the basic type 1 page MacOS Roman, and have filled every single code point accessible through the standard american keyboard, so there are quite a few extra characters compared to the Maestro font.

The only supplement that’s currently mapped has relevant alternates or similar characters in the same slots as the basic part, but there are probably too many exceptions to automate the mapping of these characters. The same goes for all the currently unmapped characters, of course.

Sorry if I seem like a total novice, but where and how exactly do I enter the bounding box and anchor values? Directly in a JSON editor?

I’m assuming the glyph list in the SMuFL documentation pdf is compiled using scripts as well? I don’t know if you would be willing to share these, but if so, they could be very helpful as well.

Anyway, thanks a lot. I look forward to hearing from you when the scripts are ready.

Kind regards,
Knut Nergaard

11. feb. 2015 kl. 15:59 skrev Daniel Spreadbury <[hidden email]>:

Knut wrote:

From my (somewhat) limited understanding, a large amount of metadata
will have to be generated to make the font truly compatible with
SMuFL, in addition to the unique character mapping. I’m neither a
seasoned font developer, nor in possession of any sort of
programming knowledge. JSON is also unfamiliar territory to me, but
the different kinds of metadata needed seems pretty clear to me from
reading through the SMuFL guidelines. However, since the amount of
metadata seems to large to be compiled manually, I’m not quite sure
how to go about the process of collecting it.

I’ve been using FontLab to edit and generate the fonts, but there
doesn’t seem to be a way to generate the metadata from there.

I'm very pleased to hear that you're considering making your new font
SMuFL-compliant.

We are looking into making available a couple of FontLab scripts that
should help you with producing metadata in the right kind of format.

The first script will add the canonical glyph name for each glyph, taking
them from the glyph names JSON file and adding them to the 'Comment'
field. In order for this to work, the glyphs will already need to be at
the appropriate SMuFL code point: if you haven't done that yet, and your
font is currently laid out like e.g. Sonata, Maestro or another
Finale-compatible font, then that's the first step we'll need to work on.
(It's possible we may be able to help you with a script to at least
partially automate the process of adding new glyphs at the appropriate
SMuFL code points and copying the paths/outlines from the corresponding
existing glyphs, depending on how your font is currently laid out.)

Having added the glyph names to each glyph in the font, the second script
will export some basic JSON metadata. This would include the glyph
bounding boxes, and any anchors that you have specified; the script won't,
however, be able to add any of these anchors itself. I would recommend
that you at least specify the stemUpNW and stemDownSE anchors for your
most important noteheads, and the cutOut... anchors for the most important
accidentals as a starting point. That shouldn't take too long.

Between those two scripts, you should be able to produce at least a basic
set of metadata for your font, which should get you started. When we have
something ready for you to try, we'll contact you directly.

Daniel

Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH, Frankenstrasse 18b, D-20097 Hamburg, Germany
Phone: +49 (40) 21035-0 | Fax: +49 (40) 21035-300 | www.steinberg.net
President: Andreas Stelling | Managing Director: Hiroshi Sasaki, Hirofumi Osawa
Registration Court: Hamburg HRB 86534
To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>