[smufl-discuss] Re: Should straight flags be promoted to recommended characters?

[smufl-discuss] Re: Should straight flags be promoted to recommended characters?

Alexander Blank
Contrary to what Dave has just suggested, I personally think straight flags should remain in the font, and that they be promoted to recommended characters (but more on this in a moment).

Concerning Dave's analogy to the difference between serifed and non-serifed text fonts, the notion is perhaps flawed, as it could be more aptly applied to the difference between traditional music fonts (emulating plate-printing) and script fonts (emulating the handwritten look). Rather, the distinction between curly and straight flags is analogous to the distinction between typographer's quotes and non-typographer's quotes. (See http://109.73.225.113/wp-content/uploads/sites/default/files/story_images/20110620_fg01b.png for an illustration)

Regarding whether or not they be promoted to the status of recommended characters, I'm more ambivalent, but I find myself leaning towards the inclination that they be included, as they're already included in most (if not all) non-SMuFL-compliant fonts like Sonata, Petrucci, etc.

Best,

--
Alexander Blank