[smufl-discuss] Re: Should straight flags be promoted to recommended characters?

[smufl-discuss] Re: Should straight flags be promoted to recommended characters?

Mark Johnson
I'm opposed, because Unicode encodes characters, not glyphs. Since a straight and a curly flag have exactly the same meaning, they are functionally the same character with different shapes. Traditionally this is a job for a different font, or nowadays stylistic alternates might be fine.
 MJ

> The specification suggests optional glyphs including shortened versions of these glyphs for avoiding rhythm dots (on unbeamed, dotted notes), and also straight flags.
>
> should straight flags be promoted from their current status as recommended optional glyphs to the higher status of recommended characters?

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>