[smufl-discuss] Re: Some ideas (chord names and general bass)

[smufl-discuss] Re: Some ideas (chord names and general bass)

Emil B. Wojtacki
David Webber:

> From: Joseph Berkovitz
>
>> In this case my opinion agrees with Daniel's: the encoding of chord
>> symbols should be out of scope for SMuFL.
>
> I'm not sure what the problem is.  The necessary characters are
> limited essentially to
>
> alphabetic
> numeric
> parentheses
> accidentals
> plus
> minus
> and a few special symbols:
> circle in the air for diminished
> circle with a stroke for half diminished
> capital-delta-like triangle

> If an SMuFL compliant font already has the whole upper and lower case
> alphabets, you can make aug and maj etc out of them, and the only
> extra things needed are circle, circle with stroke, and triangle.

If these are provided, then only two additional codepoints would be
required:
- begin of next horizontal line, and
- end of stacking mode.

Dozens of glyphs would be needed, contextual alternates ('calt') and
mark positioning ('mkmk') would be required, some ligatures would be
also useful, but I think it is possible to have relatively complex chord
symbols (and general bass ciphers) written within wordprocessor. And
this all could be accessible without loading any other font size.

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>