[smufl-discuss] Re: Some ideas

dspreadbury
Administrator
Myke wrote:

> The question here is will we be assuming that people want to be
> limited in their ability to do things based on what the scoring
> application (if any) is able to do or not? We may be able to render
> V6#42 properly in a chord symbol but what about in a lyric? (often
> the easiest way to show alignment under lyrics or other analytical
> elements). What about in text boxes and in word processing and web
> applications?  I think that there's a not too difficult solution
> involving providing a set of figures (numbers 1-9, flat, sharp,
> natural, parentheses) kerned to zero width at five different
> positions (mid-top, mid-bottom -- a la sub and superscript for two-
> digit symbols; and top, middle, bottom for three-digit symbols).  I
> have learned to simulate these very well in MS Word and in HTML, but
> ironically the only place where I need a custom font is in notation
software.

This is exactly the kind of thing that seems like an inelegant hack, as I
wrote in an earlier reply.

TJ suggested in another post that he thought using ligatures could be a
way to improve on this: TJ, would you mind elucidating on how in broad
terms you would approach this problem?

> Any comments on further beaming hints (at least the two for hook
> left vs. hook right) to support integrating beamed notation in text-
> based rendering?  Very useful for simplifying display such as metric
> modulations:  <–E–E = E–E–E–>

Yes, I can see that this would be useful. I've made a note to include a
range similar in scope to e.g. the Opus Metronome font or the Metronome
font from DVM Publications. I think it will only be truly useful in a font
designed to be mixed with text, but that's okay!

Daniel

Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH, Frankenstrasse 18b, D-20097 Hamburg, Germany
Phone: +49 (40) 21035-0 | Fax: +49 (40) 21035-300 | www.steinberg.net
Managing Director: Andreas Stelling, Kazunori Kobayashi
Registration Court: Hamburg HRB 86534
To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>