[smufl-discuss] Re: Some ideas

David Webber
From: Joseph Berkovitz

> In this case my opinion agrees with Daniel's: the encoding of chord
> symbols should be out of scope for SMuFL.

I'm not sure what the problem is.  The necessary characters are limited
essentially to

alphabetic
numeric
parentheses
accidentals
plus
minus
and a few special symbols:
circle in the air for diminished
circle with a stroke for half diminished
capital-delta-like triangle

If you're happy to demand that applications just decide where to draw these
relative to one another, and how to size them, that's all the font needs.

Of course if you want to provide glyphs for combinations of 13#5 etc
organised in different geometries, that would be more music-centric, but yes
there are an awful lot of possibilities, and you're almost bound to omit
someone's favourite.   But if you just want to let people write C7b5 easily
and more exotic combinations with a bit more effort, then the above is all
you need.

If an SMuFL compliant font already has the whole upper and lower case
alphabets, you can make aug and maj etc out of them, and the only extra
things needed are circle, circle with stroke, and triangle.  That doesn't
sound so arduous.

Dave

David Webber
Mozart Music Software
http://www.mozart.co.uk/

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>