[smufl-discuss] Re: Some ideas

Joseph Berkovitz
On May 31, 2013, at 12:58 PM, "David Webber" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> From: Joseph Berkovitz
>
>> In this case my opinion agrees with Daniel's: the encoding of chord symbols should be out of scope for SMuFL.

Sorry, there's a misunderstanding… I only meant that SMuFL should not attempt to encode partially or fully realized chord symbols made of multiple glyphs (which I think was the essence of Daniel's objection). I do not have a problem with code points for a small number of individual glyphs that are helpful in creating chord symbols, and in fact these will be quite helpful.

> I'm not sure what the problem is.  The necessary characters are limited essentially to
>
> alphabetic
> numeric
> parentheses
> accidentals
> plus
> minus
> and a few special symbols:
> circle in the air for diminished
> circle with a stroke for half diminished
> capital-delta-like triangle
>
> If you're happy to demand that applications just decide where to draw these relative to one another, and how to size them, that's all the font needs.

In fact I am asking for exactly that, and so I think that we're perhaps in agreement.  Any reasonable text font (SMuFL aside) will already provide these:
> alphabetic
> numeric
> parentheses
> plus
> minus

And SMuFL "text-oriented code points" can provide these:
> accidentals (these were already discussed on the list)
> circle in the air for diminished
> circle with a stroke for half diminished
> capital-delta-like triangle
and a few other chord-symbol specialties that are fairly easy to agree on.

What I am eager to avoid is attempts to build geometric relationships between chord symbol glyphs into the standard via ligatures or other font skulduggery. Those relationships are hard to codify.

Joe Berkovitz
President

Noteflight LLC
Boston, Mass.
phone: +1 978 314 6271
www.noteflight.com
"Your music, everywhere"

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>