[smufl-discuss] Re: Some ideas

T.J. Usiyan
I do want to emphasize the point that there really are not that many
components to chord symbols. There are a stupid amount of ways to
represent those components but there are not that many actual pieces.
I have spent quite a bit of time working on interpreting text
representations of chord symbols and these are the pieces I currently
use. Augmented, Half Diminished, Major, Minor, Diminished, Dominant,
Suspended, Flat, Sharp, Add, Omit, 0-9. Again, I have many variations
on those pieces but that really seems tractable. Even imagining that I
missed half of the pieces that brings us to 24 groups. My argument is
that we can provide a _means_ to represent those groups to aid
drawing. There is no way that we can encode all valid combinations of
these pieces but–in providing a means to represent the pieces–we can
provide a way to work in those _pieces_ and not the glyphs comprising
them. laying out "Dom" as one block next to "7♭9" over a bar over "5"
is slightly nicer than laying out each individual component I would
think.

I will let it go now as it seems that most of us seem against it. I
just wanted to get that out before we table it.

TJ