[smufl-discuss] Re: Staccato dots for measured tremolos

[smufl-discuss] Re: Staccato dots for measured tremolos

Knut Nergaard
I see, thanks!

 I thought since there are separate glyphs for the most common articulations that stays the same in both directions, like regular staccato, That this was supposed to be consistent throughout.

Since your open to a change in registration regarding the individual notes section, I will take the liberty to argue that glyphs which are identical regardless of placement on the note, perhaps should be centred on the baseline so as to simplify any settings in the scoring application (i.e. the values will then be the same for both directions. I can understand that it’s done in a different way to streamline the distances of all such glyphs from the note or stem, but since the shape of the characters vary, so will likely the ideal distances.

Anyway, it’s probably not a good idea to do any extensive changes to the registrations at this point, and as long as the apps allows separate settings for each direction, it’s not a big problem.

Thanks again!

Knut Nergaard
Thor Olsens gt. 6A
N-0177 OSLO
Tel: +47 984 85 750

19. feb. 2015 kl. 15:22 skrev Daniel Spreadbury <[hidden email]>:

Knut wrote:

In that case, am I to understand that whenever glyphs are to be
positioned on the stem side, there is one single registration regardless
of
the stem direction, but glyphs for note side positioning have two
sets, each with different registration, depending on stem direction?

It's probably not as consistent as that everywhere within the
specification. The general approach is to have separate glyphs for
above/below (or notehead/stem side) if the shape of the symbol varies (as
e.g. the tenuto-staccato articulation does, or the marcato articulation
does), but otherwise to only have a single glyph, and to leave the
positioning of said glyph relative to the note to be determined by the
consuming application.

Daniel

Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH, Frankenstrasse 18b, D-20097 Hamburg, Germany
Phone: +49 (40) 21035-0 | Fax: +49 (40) 21035-300 | www.steinberg.net
President: Andreas Stelling | Managing Director: Hiroshi Sasaki, Hirofumi Osawa
Registration Court: Hamburg HRB 86534
To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>