[smufl-discuss] Re: Stem length and registration of precomposed note glyphs

[smufl-discuss] Re: Stem length and registration of precomposed note glyphs

Knut Nergaard
I agree with Daniel on this. Another point is that the scope of these glyphs in the Musical Symbols range is less comprehensive than SMuFLs Individual Notes range.

I wonder if adding recommended stylistic alternates to the present note glyphs in SMuFL would be a better alternative than creating an entirely new parent range, though?

The only problem with this would be if there were consensus on different registration for different purposes, but I’m not aware of any strict conventions in this regard. Come to think of it, numbers in text fonts are often registered differently across stylistic sets, so this would probably work for SMuFL as well, as long as the requirements of the different sets of glyphs is clearly stated in the guidelines.

Knut Nergaard

15. apr. 2015 kl. 15:56 skrev Daniel Spreadbury <[hidden email]>:

Mark wrote:

This makes me think: Rather than adding yet another range of the
"same" characters, could we just decide to use the U+1D100 range for
one of these two purposes, since the note glyphs are already duplicated
there?

I don't think it would be ideal to ascribe one or other meaning
specifically to the range of notes within the existing Unicode Musical
Symbols range, since the semantics of that range is outside of our
control. Whether the characters in the Unicode Musical Symbols range
should have normal-length or shortened stems, i.e. whether they should
correspond to the "Individual notes" range or the putative "Metronome
marks" range is itself a good question, though!

Daniel

Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH, Frankenstrasse 18b, D-20097 Hamburg, Germany
Phone: +49 (40) 21035-0 | Fax: +49 (40) 21035-300 | www.steinberg.net
President: Andreas Stelling | Managing Director: Hiroshi Sasaki, Hirofumi Osawa
Registration Court: Hamburg HRB 86534
To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>