[smufl-discuss] Stem length and registration of precomposed note glyphs (Was: Diamond clusters)

[smufl-discuss] Stem length and registration of precomposed note glyphs (Was: Diamond clusters)

dspreadbury
Administrator
Knut wrote:

> Sorry for bringing this up once again (apparently I feel strongly
> about it), but looking through the individual notes range in Bravura
> Text, I see that the shortened stems of 2,75 spaces have been
> retained in this font as well. As a result, these can’t be used
> under normal circumstances (which require a full length stem).

"Normal circumstances" meaning, presumably, drawing notes in a scoring
application with a precomposed glyph, rather than building up a note using
glyphs for the notehead and flag, and a primitive line for the stem? Since
stems on unbeamed notes are not always 3.5 spaces long (e.g. due to stem
shortening for an up-stem note positioned near the top of the stave, or a
down-stem note positioned near the bottom of the stave, etc.; or due to
lengthening the stem to accommodate more tails in the flag), I would still
recommend that scoring applications should construct notes out of glyphs
and a primitive line.

For use along with text, a base stem length of 2.75 spaces gives a better
sense of proportion in comparison with the usual x-height and caps height
of a regular text font. Since the primary use of the characters in the
"Individual notes" range is for mixing with text, this seems like a decent
starting point.

The present guidelines (both for fonts for scoring software and fonts for
text-based applications) do not in fact mandate a specific stem length for
these glyphs, so font designers are free to approach this however they
wish.

One further point that I should have raised when we were last discussing
this in February: you stated that you weren't sure whether or not you
should produce a separate version of your font for use in text-based
applications. In general I think this will prove to be a necessity, due to
the requirement that the line height for a font intended to be used in
line with a text font must be much smaller than the line height that
results from following the guidelines for a font intended for use in a
scoring application.

> 1. Revert the recommended glyphs in this range back to their pre
> version 1.12 counterparts.
> 2. Include stylistic alternates or additional recommended versions
> of these glyphs with shorter stems, and with noteheads sitting on
> the baseline.

Since this is an area not, at present, explicitly covered by the
guidelines, your recommendations are really for Bravura more than for
SMuFL more generally, I think. You should feel free to take whatever
approach works best for your own font.

Daniel

Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH, Frankenstrasse 18b, D-20097 Hamburg, Germany
Phone: +49 (40) 21035-0 | Fax: +49 (40) 21035-300 | www.steinberg.net
President: Andreas Stelling | Managing Director: Hiroshi Sasaki, Hirofumi Osawa
Registration Court: Hamburg HRB 86534
To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <[hidden email]>