[smufl-discuss] Tuplets in SMuFL Text

Knut Nergaard
Is SMuFL supposed to be able to handle tuplets in text based applications?

After attempting to work out the kerning for the Beamed groups of notes range (U+E1F0–U+E20F), I’ve found that even the simple example in the manual (p. 97) is not possible without additional spaces on each side of the number. (The suggested sequence renders the brackets to close to the triplet number.) As I see it, the Beamed groups range is too limited and/or the guidelines too non-specific to handle even some of the most basic triplets, let alone more complex ones or tuplets of other ratios.

I realize that, similarly to chords and function theory, this is complicated and may be difficult, if not impossible, to handle at the font level. Even so, musically, it is pretty basic, and a music font for text based applications should ideally be able to handle it.

Knut Nergaard