[smufl-discuss] Windows Font Smoothing Problem

[smufl-discuss] Windows Font Smoothing Problem

Odekirk, Shawn

I thought I’d ask here before asking elsewhere in case someone here has run into this and knows the answer.

I am having trouble using Bravura at sizes above 74pt. Up to 74pt Windows smooths the font and it looks great. Above 74pt Windows stops smoothing the font.

I can get MetDemo to look good up to 166pt, but it looks like Windows stops smoothing it above 166pt.

I am using Windows GDI to display these fonts, but I can reproduce the problem in Notepad, so I suspect this is a Windows issue. The CreateFont API reference says the font will be smoothed “if the font supports it and the size of the font is not too small or too large”.

Has anyone experienced this and is there a solution?

Thanks,

Shawn